Tuesday, July 20, 2010

It's a Wrap - My First Week In Chile

My time in Chile has been jam packed so far.  I haven't been this busy for quite awhile and although we are in all day trainings, the other volunteers and I have managed to check out some of the city (and of course enjoy the famous Chilean wines at serious two buck chuck prices). The Espanol is muy differente aqui.  Chileans have their own slang and style of speaking and trying to figure that out has been interesting to say the least.  Luckily, I now know a few words that I've embraced including bacan ("awesome" - how could something that sounds like bacon not be awesome?), carrete ("party") and cachai ("get it?").  I have yet to try their beloved completo - a big task to take on.  It entails a hot dog smothered with avocado, loads of mayonaise, tomatoes and onions and I promise to dedicate an entire entry to that alone once it happens.

On a serious note, one of the most unique experiences I've had so far (besides getting to know the hilarious and bacan fellow volunteers) was our Human Rights tour led by an actual prisoner during Chile's dictatorship rule (1973 to 1990). This part of Chile's history is still fresh in the minds of Chileans where thousands including men, women and children were tortured and killed while thousands continue to be missing to this day.  It was a sobering yet inspirational experience to see the memorials now dedicated to healing and peace. 

As promised, here are a few photos from my time here... 

View of the Andes


Amazing Race Challenge:  Second Stop at Cerro Santa Lucia


View of Santiago from Atop Cerro Santa Lucia

Human Rights Tour - Casa Memoria

Human Rights Tour - Parque por La Paz Villa Grimaldi

1 comment:

  1. Hurry up and get on that bacone completo - PRONTO! Great pictures!!! It looks so charming there

    ReplyDelete